I admit it.... I got caught up in it... I got caught up in the MOMMY WARS!!! I don't know when it happened, or how it happened, but sometime between the moment I found out I was pregnant and now, I some how got caught up in this phenomenon known as the "Mommy Wars."
For those that don't know what the "Mommy Wars" are, it is the battle between moms over what is best or better or does the most, or has the most, or gives the most, and so on and so on and so on.....It is breast feeding vs. bottle feeding, HMO vs. Cheetos, organic vs. non organic, soy milk vs. dairy milk, gluten free vs. grilled cheese, time outs vs. spanking, stay-at-home moms vs. working moms....etc., etc., etc.
I don't know when I got so caught up in it all, but I know where I got caught up in it.... social media. Every day, hell, every hour, I read about a mom who doesn't feed their children poison (also commonly referred to as pop or fruit loops), or has cut all GMO's out of their children's diets (have no idea what a GMO even is..), cooks, every meal from scratch (because boxed cake mix or potatoes is deadly), or has her child potty trained at 6 months old, or who only breastfeeds their child, or who has their child enlisted in the best preschool, and so on.
Well I forfeit... I am waving the white flag! I surrender! You win!!! I suck!!! My kid ate a whole cheesy bag of GMO's for dinner tonight!!! I give up!!!!! Game over!!!
And while I am at it... I have a few confessions to make!
1. I let my kid drink pop... I put it in a sippy cup and let him drink pop.... he doesn't drink it every day, but on occasion I let him have it!
2. I bribe JJ to sit on the potty with a sucker... it probably was a bad idea at first and know he has me over a barrel because now he wont sit on the potty without one... but oh well...
3. I have also on occasion given my kids candy before noon... particularly when I am working at home and on the phone and need him to be quiet in the background. The kid can pop M&M's in his mouth so fast, if it were a sport, he would win... I also let him share them with his brother...
4. My boys watch the movie "Car's" EVERY DAY!!! Sometimes multiple times a day. They also have the theme songs to Jake and The Neverland Pirates, Mickey Mouse Club House and Sponge Bob memorized. On occasion I hear them singing it in their cribs over the monitor. Yes my kids watch Sponge Bob.
5. My kids run the show in this house more times then I would like to admit... they choose what is on tv, what we eat for dinner, when we eat dinner, when we go to bed and so on.
I am sharing all this with you not only so I care bare my soul and be silently judged by others, but because I am done with this war! At the end of the day, I don't care anymore. It is exhausting keeping up with all the other Mommy's out there. I am not the best, but I do my best and I love my boys. Working from home and juggling the boys, it is ALOT of work and quite frankly, I don't have time to engage in this battle anymore. I appreciate all the information other parents put out there to inform the rest of us on things we may not know or realize, but the truth is, most the time, it makes me feel guilty and like a crappy mom and as a result I try and keep up. I can't do it anymore! There is no way to keep up with it, and instead of calling each other out on these things, lets just be moms together. Lets just raise our kids to be contributing members to society in the best way we know how. If for you that means your kids only eat organic then that is awesome, but if for me it means my kids don't that is okay too... I am done engaging and contributing to this war. I am making a conscious effort from this time forward to only lift other mothers up and support them. I am DONE!
Love it! And you make me feel better that I let my kids so a lot of that too! You are a great mom and have taught me a lot ♥
ReplyDeleteLet me just say, My son had his first beer at the ripe old age of 3. His father always put it in a coffee cup and he turned his back for 10 seconds. Guess what? He has lived to tell everyone this story. He will be 22 in March. We all make mistakes, screw up (even those so called perfect parents), do things differently. We just do the best we can do and pray we did it right.
ReplyDelete