Sunday, October 24, 2010

Awareness!

What an eventful week I have had. First, thanks to a fellow blogger I was made aware of this....


http://www.laborrights.org/sites/default/files/publications-and-resources/sweatshop_hall_shame_2010.pdf

The 2010 Sweat Shop Hall of Fame.

And to my surprise, Kohls is on there! As many of you know I have already not bought Nike since I was in high school becasue of their reputation for this and now Kohls! I was so upset by this news that the day I found out I had actually come home with a new pair of shoes for Jason. Before he even tried them on I told him we were returning them and we did. So my Kohls charge will have to be cut up! I challenge you guys to read the link and think about what our support to places that support sweat shops and child labor results in.

Then tonight I attended The Detour Project at my church. It was an event opened up to the public that talked about Suicide Prevention! Loved every minute of it! The speaker, Dennis Liegghio, is an awesome guy who in his teenage years struggled with not only dealing with his own fathers suicide but who also struggled with wanting to commit suicide. He shares his story, his struggle, his journey through it all and is a true inspiration. He is attempting to raise awareness and does this full time now. His organization is non profit and I was truly moved by tonight.

Having gone through depression, and still struggling with it today (for those who do not know I have in the past been diagnosed with depression. It was pretty bad for awhile in high school and college, but I have learned how to live and cope with it successfully. That is another blog) I love the fact that Dennis is so open about this. I love the fact that his idea of raising awareness is to talk about it. It is not a bunch of facts on paper, it is knee deep discussion about life and where we are at and where we need to go.

The bottom line is, I think you should all visit the page. If anyone has more questions about it let me know and I will see what I can find out. There is a fundraiser coming up that is a dinner that my husband and I will be attending. I encourage anyone that can spare the extra change to also come or make a donation or volunteer or share a story. Like I said, it is a non profit organization and it gets no government grants.

That is it for tonight! It is a heavy blog with awareness but all I needed!

http://knowresolve.org/wp/

1 comment:

  1. sad day about Kohl's huh? I was bumming about it then I thought about how crazy it was to be sad that I couldn't buy clothes that were made from sweatshops....really? I think I can restrain myself!

    ReplyDelete