So finally a moment to blog! It seems every time I get a moment to blog my dear JJ wakes up and ruins the moment. So here is to hoping he stays down another 10 minutes so I can finish this blog!
So motherhood has changed my life in ways I didn't expect. I am going to share some of the significant changes with you guys.
First, the term "sleeping in" has new meaning. "Sleeping in" used to mean I don't wake up until 10 AM to start my day. It now means 8 AM if I am lucky and it's not the same kind of sleep. It is JJ and I sleeping together in the bed after his dad leaves for work at 6AM. The routine is that he gets a bottle at 6 and since I have the whole big bed and it is doubtful I can get the kid to go down any other way other then in arms at that point, it means we sleep together (or rather him on top of me). And God forbid if I move during this "sleeping in" time, because then the glorious quite time with my eyes closed is over!
Second, my shower. No more do I get to linger under hot water to start my day. I now have to put my kid in his bouncy seat in the bathroom, and while he is adjusting to the bouncy I run into the bedroom (which is off of the bathroom) to make the bed and throw all laundry in hamper (and maybe even start a load) and then I run back into the bathroom to start the water and am in and out in 5 minutes or less (I take 2 showers a day, when his dad is home at night I get to actually wash my hair!).
Third, my hair.... Yes I used to have endless amount of time to straighten and style my hair. Now I have anywhere between 30 seconds and 5 minutes. It depends how long JJ wants to float in the tub on his bath chair/recliner after I wash him up in the morning. It is the only time I really have, and the only reason I have that time is because I can't leave JJ alone while he is in the tub. So since my mirror and sink are conveniently located right next to the tub it is a great time to multi task. What this means for my hair is that I usually get some variation of a pony tail. If I have time to fully straiten it, it is a rather nice looking pony tail. If I don't, well it is at least out of my face.
Forth, my make up. Again, I used to have countless time to do my makeup. Now it depends on how long JJ wants to sit in his bassinet after I get him dressed after his bath and how long I can tolerate his crying. Sometimes it means no make up, other times it means the bare essentials and others it means the full works. You never know what you are going to get!
Forth, meals. What meals???? Yes before I got to eat and now it depends. Most days I get maybe 1 full meal because I am too busy for 3. In addition if I do sit down to eat a meal 1/2 the time it is done so while balancing JJ with one hand on my shoulder and propping up a bottle with my chin and eating with the other hand, while chewing very strategically, because I don't want to chew too big or too small and move the bottle that I am holding with my chin....
Fifth, my gas tank. Before I used to go through a tank every 2 days.. now it is about every 2 weeks. We get out ALOT, but the distance is shorter, which has resulted in about $300 in savings a month (yup, I had a kid and found a way to save money!).
Sixth, grocery trips. This is a challenge because JJ and his carrier go in the cart (I sometimes attach the carrier to the top, but don't like to do it). This leaves me VERY little room for groceries.. So far a box of perogies and a box of tissue have fallen on his head (no injuries though!).
Seventh, my husbands manners have taken a hit! It seems that since it is okay for JJ to pass gas (and he passes it ALOT, I have to believe more then most kids) that means it is okay for my husband to do so too. Before, he would hold it, now it appears that having a child has done something to his digestive system or something and he can no longer hold it.
Eighth, my conversations. Rarely do I have an adult conversation. Most the time I am talking and JJ is either cooing or crying. I rarely get conversation back...
I could go on forever about how my life has changed, but these have been the most noticible so far. Being a temporary stay at home mom has also brought on many changes. For instances I have started cooking some dinners. I made Chicken Parm and steaks this week. It has taken time to adjust but JJ and I are getting on somewhat of a schedule. Unfortunately, my kid is not a day sleeper, so I don't get lots of down time. He does however like to look around. Sometimes I can get him to sit in front of a window in his bouncer or swing and stare for a bit. Today his nap is rare, he sleeps in the car, but not much at home during the days.
So all in all my life has changed drastically, but it is definatly worth it. I have to admit, I never had any idea how much having a kid would change my life and how much I could love one little person. I didn't know I had that much love to give. I thank God every day for him. At this point I don't know what God's plan is for me. I have a new law degree and a newborn and have no idea what God has in store for me, but I trust Him and know whether it is 12 more kids (and hopefully a TLC show) or a booming career that it will be done in His name and it will all work out. Couldn't be more grateful for it all.
Before I close this blog I want to address a request I have been getting. I have numerous requests to blog about my shopping, couponing and sales. I am going to make an effort to do this. Hopefully on Sunday's when the new ads come out and when my husband is home. So look forward to it and thank you for all your blog/facebook support!
No comments:
Post a Comment