"She popped over night."
"I am starting to see it in your face."
"Turn sideways so I can get a side view."
"You look bigger today."
These are just a few of the comments I have gotten lately about my progression in this pregnancy. I will be 6 months 1 week on Wednesday. It amazes me that these things are "normal" things to say to or about a pregnant woman. I know I am pregnant, but I am still a woman. And, it is constant. I can't go anywhere where people I know are without something about my size or shape being the subject of conversation. Drives me insane.
What makes these comments worse is they are typically accompanied by someone touching my stomach or rubbing it. All personal boundaries don't exist for pregnant women. And truthfully, I don't mind the touching of the stomach as much as I just can't stand my shape or size being the object of everyone's concerns at that moment.It is one thing to feel my stomach, it is another to feel it and comment about how huge I am getting. Plus, I don't know what people expect to feel? I mean are they thinking my baby can hear them or will know it is them? I mean what is it that is so intriguing about my stomach that you can't help but touch it uninvited? I don't mind it as much as I just find it weird. The only time I really mind it is when I go from one room to another with people non stop touching my stomach. It is weird..
It just strikes me as odd that this behavior that would normally be considered rude and unacceptable to a non pregnant woman is considered okay and normal for a pregnant woman.
No comments:
Post a Comment