This is the "Semi Big Announcement" because the "Big Announcement" will come when I actually launch my at home business. But for now, I want to share with you all what exactly I will be doing AND I want HONEST feedback. If you think this idea sucks, tell me and explain why! If you think it is brilliant, I obviously want to hear that too! So here it is!
First I want to explain how I got here and why I am so excited about this! As you all know, I love a deal! I also love helping others find a deal! I love it when people don't have to struggle to make ends meet! However, every once in awhile life happens and we need help, and help that is super expensive, like legal services. For long as I can remember I have always wanted to be an attorney, before I even knew that lawyers charged so much or what it cost to support a family. I just wanted to help people. And as this passion grew, I began to see the person I wanted to help. I am firm believer that this justice system we have only offers justice to a few types of people. The first type is the person who can afford the justice system and afford the price of an attorney. The second type of person is the person who doesn't make enough and qualifies for legal aide. When in law school, I was blessed with the opportunity to work for legal aide and help some of those people. And I really thought that I was narrowing this gap that I see in the justice system. That I was helping those get some justice that couldn't afford it. And while I did that, and I ALWAYS had a full case load, I also witnessed us turning many people away because there were too many of them or because they made too much. They didn't make enough to hire attorney, but they made too much to qualify for legal aid. So, yes, I helped narrow the gap, but there still is this gap.
So from there I promised myself I was not going to be an attorney who charged an outrageous fee and I was going to make myself affordable! Then reality hit, I graduated law school with over 100k in student loans and I began to think about how this would all work. Well, what I learned is that lawyers charge so much an hour for a few reasons. A lawyer who charges $100 an hour has to pay back some of that to student loans, some of that to over head and some of that to the work that falls outside of the "billable" hour. For every billable hour an attorney charges you for they are actually probably doing 2 hours of work. So now I was in a pickle, how was I going to make my services affordable and still make somewhat of a living. I was at a loss, so I prayed about it. Then it hit me!
When I worked for legal aide one of the services we offered was a walk-in legal clinic. It was where someone who was representing themselves on a small legal issue came in and asked for assistance. In that clinic we sat down with these people (who qualified for our services) helped them draft motions or complaints and assisted them in family law matters. We gave them step by step instructions on how to proceed on their own and gave them the tools to do it! So that is the first service I want to offer. Not a walk in clinic, but a legal consulting service. For the fee of $50 an hour you can come to me with your family law legal issue and if it is something that you and I feel you can handle on your own then I will assist you in drafting whatever paperwork you need and give you step by step instructions on how to go at this yourself. I figure most issues that would fit this service would only take 1 hour, so you are looking at spending $50. This service would be ideal for someone who has a divorce or parenting time judgement and needs to enforce it or wants to attempt to change it or similar issues.
Another thing we did at legal aide was offer a pro se divorce class. This was a class where people (who qualified for our services) came in for a 2 part class. The first class we would give you paperwork and assist you in filing out your complaint for divorce and all other relevant documents needed. At the end of the class you would leave and be able to file your paperwork at the court and serve the other part. The second class you would come back and we would assist you in drafting a judgement to wrap up your case. Again, you would get step by step instructions on how to proceed on your own but be given direction. I would like to offer the same class at $100 per class (2 classes total so $200). This class is ideal for someone who wants a divorce and there is no children involved and no property or you are willing to give up the property.
These services would be only consulting services. I would not personally represent you, which is why the services are so affordable. I would be offering you legal advice, help you draft relevant documents, and guide you in how to proceed on your own. The reason they are so affordable is because you would be doing a lot of the work. Like ANY attorney, I can't guarantee the outcome of your case but I would give you REAL legal advice and the opportunity to resolve your issue at a very REASONABLE fee and if for some reason I thought your case was too complex and you needed an attorney I wouldn't charge you for that advice and I could even give you the name of some great attorneys who could help you
So what do you guys think???
I think it's a fabulous idea Rachael. I struggled with the same things when I started my business. There are so many behind the scenes hours that you don't bill the customer for, and it's a hard reality when you learn you have to charge your worth. I think you have struck a fabulous balance. Maybe I could offer some advice, too.....since you know so many photogs, you should look into the specific legal concerns creatives have and offer some services. I'd love to have an attorney I could turn to for advice and help, especially on contracts, etc.(I'd pay, of course!) Congrats to you!
ReplyDelete